Friday, October 2, 2009

"Food, glorious food . . .

. . . stuffed mushrooms and French bread!"

A couple of weeks ago, I went to see Julie & Julia. Not only is it now one of my favorite movies, my friend and I were quite inspired to prepare some of the delectable-looking recipes everyone onscreen kept cramming into their mouths. It only followed that WE have a French dinner--only three days later. I tracked down Julia Childs recipes and purchased the ingredients, then fixed up some appetizers and waited for my friends to come so I wouldn't have to do ALL the work. ;-) We didn't go by technical courses, since it took a while to prepare. However, it was, when all is said and done, one of THE BEST meals I've ever eaten . . . Also, incidentally, one of the best meals I've ever helped prepare!

This is what we ate--read, and I shall HEAR your mouth water:

APPETIZERS:

1. Hot, freshly-baked round loaves of French bread with butter
2. Fresh uncapped strawberries and green grapes with sour cream/cream cheese dip
3. Multigrain crackers with Camambert, Gouda, and double-cream Brie cheeses

MAIN COURSE:

1. Fresh tossed salad with spinach and tomatoes
2. Julia Child's stuffed mushrooms, served steaming hot
3. Bacon-wrapped Filet Mignon with sauteed mushrooms, fresh garlic, and onions
4. MORE French bread and butter
5. Fresh asparagus with savory hollondaise sauce

DESSERT:
1. Julia Child's Chocolate Almond Cake (complete with RUM! I went to the liquor store myself . . . <_<)
2. Strong unflavored decaf coffee


And now, I am full, having read back over the list. WHEW! It was a lot of work to make, and a lot of work to eat. But it was INCREDIBLE. I'd do it again at a moment's notice. SO GOOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment